Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Pinterest DIY: Ring Bowl

I've decided to start a little yay or nay Pinterest DIY series of blogs. Let's be real-half of the stuff of Pinterest doesn't turn out like the perfect picture shown. I'll pick a project, document the steps and then determine whether it made the transition from Pinterest to reality successfully or not.

For this project I chose to make a ring bowl for a friend who is getting married soon. I found a picture of a little white bowl and it led me to a blog with directions. So I went and bought the materials from Joann's which cost me around $16 with a discount. I then prayed for the outcome and got to work!

For this project you'll need:
Sculpey oven back clay (I used white, $15 at Joann's)
Fabric doily ($2 at Joann's)
Rolling pin
Some type of letters you can use to make an imprint
Bowl to cut out circle shape
Oven safe bowl
Super glue
Sand paper

Preheat the oven to 275. Roll the clay into a ball to start off. I used a little less than half of the clay in the package. Then use a rolling pin and roll it out to about 1/4 of an inch. (Say roll one more time, Tara…) ROLL


Place the fabric doily and your letters on the clay. I used some letters I had left over from another project. I pressed them in slightly and then went over them with my rolling pin.



Take the letters and doily off and place a bowl or lid on the clay. Push down to cut out the circle shape.



Using the excess clay you just cut off, form two little love birds (I forgot to take a picture of this part because I was getting fussy as this step took me many tries).

Place the circular piece of clay in your oven safe bowl. Make sure to push down on it a bit so it takes the shape of a bowl. Then place the birds on the edge of the oven safe bowl. Place the bowl on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven for 25 minutes.



Take it out and let cool for 15 minutes. Sand the edges down so they're nice and smooth. Then glue the birds to the edge of the bowl. I let this dry over night just to be safe.



Pinterest vs. Mine

This Pinterest project proved to be a success! So far I'm one for one, good deal. Wahoo!

xx
Tara


2 comments: